On 12/21/2011 10:24 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 21/12/2011 21:21, Mladen Turk wrote:
On 12/21/2011 09:34 PM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
Hello,
I have started some stuff here: https://github.com/olamy/tomcat70.

We must at least create 7.1.x branch for such a crucial change.

I'm not sure we need a new branch if the end result is going to be the same.

Well, we would screw anyone doing derivative work, that's for sure.
Also any distribution packaging tomcat will have serious problems as well
since almost all of them use package dependencies instead
download or maven tasks.
Eg, take a look at
https://github.com/vanaf/tomcat7-fedora/blob/master/tomcat.spec
OpenSuse is almost the same (they add some Geronimo dependencies however)

In essence no packages will be able to change the version
unless he rewrites the .spec or debian files from scratch thought.

Regards
--
^TM