On 21/12/2011 22:19, Mladen Turk wrote:
> On 12/21/2011 11:01 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 21/12/2011 21:57, Mladen Turk wrote:
>>>
>>> In essence no packages will be able to change the version
>>> unless he rewrites the .spec or debian files from scratch thought.
>>
>> Ouch. That is argument for only doing this in trunk, if we do it at all.
>
> Right. Up till now all linux distributions were using tomcatX,
> so yes, Tomcat8 (trunk) is the logical target.
>
>> Still need to figure out how to merge patches if we go that way.
>>

> If they do not span across new 'modules' it should
> be just making sure they are executed using 'patch -pX'
> so that correct number of directory entries is stripped
> from patch header.

True, but currently we can just do:
svn merge -c <revison> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk

I don't know if svn is smart enough to be able to continue to do that if
we have moved the source around in trunk. That would be a test worth doing.

In summary, so far we have:
* +ve OSGi bundles could be easier (need to see if we can use the same
plug-in via the current Ant script)
* -ve merging trunk to 7.0.x could be harder (need to see how smart svn
merging is)