On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 26/01/2012 23:15, Mark Thomas wrote:
> > Good news. The WebSocket implementation has reached a state where you
> > should be able to play with it. Receiving and sending of binary and text
> > data via streams/writers and messages is all working as long as you
> > don't use continuation frames. See the Echo example for the general idea.
>
> Some minor tweaks and clean-up [1]. Main improvement is that now if you
> write more data than the buffer can handle it doesn't fall over.
>
> > I'm leaning towards committing this
> > on the grounds that it changes very little of the existing code and -
> > fingers crossed - it should stay that way. It will be easier for the
> > wider community to experiment and provide patches once it is in trunk. I
> > expect that the back-port to 7.0.x will wait until things were more
> > feature complete and any obvious performance issues had been addressed.
>
> No-one has complained about this (yet) so I'll probably commit this some
> time next week.

Not complaining - it's great to add this feature, please commit it - but
I'm wondering
if a lighter interface wouldn't be better. From looking at the
implementation, it seems
 after the upgrade it keeps the InputBuffer/OutputBuffer ( and the whole
 Request / Processor / etc tree ).

Would it be possible for example to release the Request, like it's done
after request,
in keep-alive, and use a lighter parser/callback on the socket ? I think
one of the use cases
 for websockets is to support a _lot_ of open connections. Also the
interface may be
simpler without InputStreams.

Costin