All,

> Someone recently on the users list[1] had some trouble building mod_jk
> and it turned out that the problem was a missing c++ compiler.
>
> I did some quick checking and it doesn't look like mod_jk requires a c++
> compiler for any actual compilation -- that is, everything is declared
> as "extern C" and no obvious c++ features in use.
>
> httpd advertises requirements for autoconf, libtool, and an ANSI-C
> compiler (not C++). I didn't actually try to build httpd without having
> c++ available.
>
> Is this simply an oversight in the configure script? Are we stupidly
> requiring a C++ compiler, or is there a reason that it is required?

I was just able to build mod_jk on Amazon Linux (roughly RHEL) by:

1. Installing http-devel and gcc-c++ packages

2. Running configure

3. Removing gcc-c++ and gcc46-c++ packages (this removes the C++ compiler)

4. Running make

This resulted in a .so file that I have not actually tried running (in
httpd), but have every reason to believe would work just fine.

I think this is just an erroneous requirement of "configure". Can anyone
give me some pointers for how to modify the capabilities-scanning that
configure does?

-chris