Hi Romain,

I had a look at the XBean property editors to configure AMQ plugins from
TomEE configuration file. I can easily set the userPasswords for the
SimpleAuthenticationPlugin
class (it is a simple Map<String,String>), but the userGroups property is
not as easy (it is a Map<String, Set<Principal>>). Which makes me wonder if
XBean properties are appropriate for complex objects like AMQ plugins. I
did not yet look at the other plugins, but I guess they could become even
more complex that the rather-simple authentication plugin.
And is there a way to instantiate such objects using XBean properties
without hard-coding converters for plugin-specific classes (like
GroupPrincipal, AuthenticationUser, ...).

Thanks.

--
Marian MULLER
SERLI


On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I think the solution without activemq.xml is great. We could make a default
> jars.txt a user could drop in conf/ to add all the required dependencies if
> it helps but putting spring is the container is not a good idea as default
> solution. In particular for this case where we know how to get it properly
> done.
>
> Side note: would be great to be able to do a network of brokers between
> tomee instances too.
>
>
>
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau
> Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
> LinkedIn: http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau
> Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau
>
>
> 2014-06-03 10:23 GMT+02:00 Marian Muller <[email protected]>:
>
> > Hi Andy,
> >
> > Thanks for the insight. I think we need to take some time and discuss the
> > topic, before going further.
> >
> > I understand your point about the simple "built-in" solution being what
> its
> > name suggests: a simple solution for running localhost/vm-only broker.
> This
> > makes much sense! And I also believe there is a need for a deep
> > understanding of ActiveMQ configuration, when addressing more complex
> > situations.
> >
> > I think the activemq.xml file fits this description, however I also think
> > the Spring requirement may be a hurdle to some users. The TomEE
> > website mentions
> > the need for Spring and XBean libraries
> > <http://tomee.apache.org/jms-resources-and-mdb-container.html>, yet I
> hit
> > a
> > few issues when following the instructions:
> >
> > 1/ Adding the 5 mentioned jars (spring-* and xbean-spring) is not enough,
> > there is still a ClassNotFoundException
> > (org.apache.activemq.xbean.XBeanBrokerFactory) when using
> > 'xbean:file:conf/activemq.xml'. It looks like the activemq-spring jar is
> > also required here.
> >
> > 2/ Maybe I missed something here, but I was not able to load the
> > activemq.xml file using a relative path as suggested in TomEE
> > documentation. I just keep getting a FileNotFoundException.
> >
> >
> > Do you think we could improve the user experience wrt integrating the
> > activemq.xml configuration file ? Maybe by making this a bit clearer and
> > easier to get all the required dependencies ?
> > Adding a way to declare AMQ plugins within tomee configuration file - as
> > suggested by previous posts - would also make it simpler for users.
> > Although I agree it would be better to stick to AMQ configuration syntax.
> > And about point 2, did I miss something ?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Marian MULLER
> > SERLI
> >
> >
> > On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Andy Gumbrecht <
> [email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Marian,
> > >
> > > I have always been of the opinion that the default configuration is the
> > > simple way, and more complex scenarios need a more complex solution,
> > > and a really deep understanding of ActiveMQ configuration.
> > >
> > > The simple solution is seen as a localhost/vm only solution which never
> > > goes outside the box - The clients do not see or access the MQ
> directly.
> > >
> > > The complex solutions starts with your scenario - Clients should have
> > > remote access and authenticate (and that is a massive step, not to be
> > taken
> > > lightly).
> > >
> > > So where to address that?
> > >
> > > Romain's plugin idea works, but seems like an awful lot of work to
> > replace
> > > something that is in effect already there -
> > > The 'xbean:file:conf/activemq.xml'.
> > >
> > > I was also initially annoyed by the whole Spring requirement for a
> > > 'simple' XML file, but that's an ActiveMQ issue which we have to live
> > with
> > > if we want to configure it.
> > > Once you use it there really is no issue. To add all that endless
> > > functionality to OpenEJB is really outside the box in my opinion. A few
> > > megs of jars isn't really such a big issue.
> > >
> > > If you start to dig in to ActiveMQ conf (http://activemq.apache.org/
> > > version-5-xml-configuration.html) then you'll understand why they maybe
> > > opted for the Spring XBean configuration.
> > >
> > > What is your greater picture here? Why do you want to allow remote MQ
> > > clients to authenticate?
> > >
> > > If we start talking about local application authentication then think
> > > 'TomEE cluster', then you're only going to have one ActiveMQ server
> > > (standalone, and maybe also a cluster) - Aligning authentication with
> > TomEE
> > > is probably not going to work.
> > >
> > > A JDBC realm could be a solution - Both servers authenticate can
> > > authenticate against it.
> > >
> > > But really you'd only need one ActiveMQ user/pw per application.
> > >
> > > Andy.
> > >
> > >
> > > On 30/05/2014 11:35, Marian Muller wrote:
> > >
> > >> Hi all,
> > >>
> > >> For starters, let me introduce myself. I am Marian Muller and I work
> as
> > a
> > >> Java EE engineer at SERLI. As part of my job, I will dedicate some
> time
> > to
> > >> contributing to TomEE.
> > >>
> > >> I am working on a simpler way to configure authentication in the
> > embedded
> > >> ActiveMQ broker. Currently, you can easily start the embedded broker
> > using
> > >> just a few lines of xml:
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>  <Resource id="MyJmsResourceAdapter" type="ActiveMQResourceAdapter">
> > >>>       BrokerXmlConfig =  broker:(tcp://someHostName:61616)
> > >>>       ServerUrl       =  vm://localhost
> > >>>   </Resource>
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >> But if you want to add authentication to the broker, you need to write
> > an
> > >> ActiveMQ xml configuration file, and - that feels a bit wrong - you
> need
> > >> to
> > >> add Spring and ActiveMQ libraries in TomEE! (see
> > >> http://tomee.apache.org/jms-resources-and-mdb-container.html)
> > >>
> > >> <Resource id="MyJmsResourceAdapter" type="ActiveMQResourceAdapter">
> > >>
> > >>>      BrokerXmlConfig =  xbean:file:conf/activemq.xml
> > >>>      ServerUrl       =  tcp://someHostName:61616</Resource>
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>>  I looked up how the ActiveMQ embedded broker is configured and
> > started,
> > >> and
> > >> I think it should be possible to add an option to the resource adapter
> > to
> > >> specify basic user/password authentication. Now I am wondering what
> this
> > >> option should look like ? I see at least three possibilities:
> > >>
> > >> a) Specify a list of (username/password/groups) directly in the
> > >> ResourceAdapter options (in tomee.xml). This feels a bit tedious,
> would
> > >> clutter the config file and would require to define a specific syntax.
> > >> b) Specify the path to a file (xml? properties? ...), containing the
> > list
> > >> of (username/password/groups). This would lighten the configuration
> file
> > >> (tomee.xml) by moving away the verbose stuff.
> > >> c) Maybe we could reuse the existing user database from
> > >> conf/tomcat-users.xml ? This way we only need a single file to
> configure
> > >> all the users.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> This is for the simple username/password authentication, which would
> use
> > >> ActiveMQ's SimpleAuthenticationPlugin.
> > >>
> > >> Now maybe a better way to add JMS authentication would be to reuse the
> > >> existing Realm, which can be configured by the users. This would
> > probably
> > >> require to write a custom ActiveMQ plugin that checks authentication
> > >> against the realm. But this would open much more authentication
> options!
> > >> Now, if you don't mind, I could use some pointers on how to reuse this
> > >> Realm, and also how to define another realm for JMS authentication (if
> > the
> > >> user wants so)?
> > >> To me, this feels like a better way to centralize authentication in
> > Tomcat
> > >> Realms!
> > >>
> > >> What do you think? How do you see JMS authentication?
> > >> Please tell me if I am going the wrong way here.
> > >> I could definitely use the community feedback here! :)
> > >>
> > >> Thank you.
> > >> --
> > >> Marian MULLER
> > >> SERLI
> > >>
> > >>
> > > --
> > >   Andy Gumbrecht
> > >
> > >   http://www.tomitribe.com
> > >   [email protected]
> > >   https://twitter.com/AndyGeeDe
> > >
> > >   TomEE treibt Tomitribe! | http://tomee.apache.org
> > >
> > >
> >
>

Reply via email to