Hi Matthew!

Many of us had a very similar experience. TomEE rocks!

The Geronimo App Server kind of belongs to the 'big iron' class. And as such it
was really hard to run.
That's one of the reasons why the Geronimo App Server is dead. We are really on
the fence of retiring the G server part.

The Geronimo project otoh maintains a lot of extremely useful components apart
of the G server!
Most of this stuff is _also_ used by TomEE: the TransactionManager, javamail,
xbean, etc
Even the TomEE specs jar is just a shade of a bunch of geronimo-spec jars
merged together.
And a hell lot of other projects use those parts as well!
For example: the Geronimo TxManager is used by TomEE, OpenWebBeans, CXF,
OpenJPA, etc.

As I said: I don't care whether those reusable modules are maintained over at
the Geronimo project or here at TomEE.
But it must be really clear that those components are totally independent of
any concrete server.
Otherwise we would have the same weird situation as we had with Geronimo back
then when the server was well alive.

LieGrue,
strub