I understand there's kind of a meta conversation going on that all roads and
discussions need to end at there being something to put a microprofile-jwt git
repo.  I wave a white flag and gently request a respite from that as I don't
want everything I write to be read as if I'm attempting to steer for or against.

I'm 100% supportive of reuse.  And there could be something of value to reuse
in the end.  But at this moment if there was a microprofile-jwt git, even if
that repo was in TomEE, I'm not sold at this point there would be enough code
there to justify it.

I'd probably lean towards getting a prototype done with the mutual
understanding this part of the discussion is still open.  Once we have code in
hand, we can have a more informed discussion and circle back to reuse.

> On Feb 14, 2018, at 11:57 AM, Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.INVALID> wrote:
>
> If you want to have JWT working for ALL EE things then it's not
> MicroProfile-JWT anymore, isn't?
> It would be much more. Not bad of course, but still way beyond of what
> MicroProfile-JWT defines.

Chapter 7 "Mapping MP-JWT Tokens to Java EE Container APIs" defines about 11
different integration points across JAX-RS, EJB, Servlets, JACC etc. As only
JAX-RS is a required part of a MicroProfile server and the other parts are
optional, at least 7 out of the 11 integration points are also optional.

There are tests for much of them in the MicroProfile JWT TCK. The tests are
also optional, but we'd definitely want to run and pass them as well as
contribute to them if they are incomplete.

If the spec is incomplete and we did miss an EE integration point, definitely
want to update the spec to cover it.  Scott and I and the other folks who
worked on the spec did our best to try and enumerate the ones we could think
of, but we may have missed some.

> Oh and I assume it does also include a way to _create_ JsonWebTokens, right?

The token creation would be done by an OAuth provider, which is outside the MP
JWT specification.

The specification does have requirements that define what the token should look
like, but they're all very minimal so that we could be as compatible as
possible with as many existing OAuth provider implementations as possible.

Effectively it says the JWT must be signed with an RSA private key the OAuth
Provider owns and assumes the MicroProfile server has been given the public
key.  How that public key is passed is also outside the specification, but
generally, it'll be on disk or sitting in the docker image somewhere.

> * JSON-P on the json side.

Agree.  This is definitely mandatory to implement the MP JWT spec as claims can
be injected as JsonObject, etc.

> * crypto: Whether to use the JCE built-in crypto or an external lib should be
> pluggable. We just need to add a smallish SPI with a few methods.

Agree to disagree on this one :)  JCE is an abstraction with two well known
impls (OpenJDK and BouncyCastle).  It's 3-4 lines to check a signature, so not
much complexity to abstract.

> * JsonWebToken and a way to get 'the' JWT for a single Request. That might be
> a provider interface or a @RequestScoped CDI bean.

MP JWT spec requires there to be a dependent scoped producer for JsonWebToken.
The bean getting JsonWebToken injected must be RequestScoped.  Currently
section 7.1.3 forbids injection into beans that are not @RequestScoped.

With that in mind, I would probably implement JsonWebToken as an immutable
class -- i.e. get the token, then create the JsonWebToken and track that in the
request.  So ultimately the producer of JsonWebToken needs to get the token
from the request rather than the JsonWebToken implementation itself.

Not yet discussed, but part of the spec is Claims can be injected as any java
type using the same conversion rules as MP Config.

Xbean-reflect has a large set of code for java-to-string conversion.  I suspect
geronimo-config as it's own implementation of java-to-string conversion.
There's probably some opportunity for reuse consolidation there.

Potentially even an option for a "Conversion" spec.  Andres was talking about
it at the last JCP EC event in London.  His JSR-377 (Desktop Application
Framework) apparently has similar needs.

-David