Sorry for top posting… I might have a slightly different direction to look in.

Thinking about some of the comments along the lines of “jbake is good enough”
I’ve realized that, for me, the main benefit Antora brings over anything else
I’m aware of is that it helps you organize your content in a sensible yet very
flexible way.

I’d like to draw an analogy to the ant-vs.-maven controversy, if anyone
remembers that far back :-)  They are both build tools that take your java
source and use the java compiler to create class files.  Aren’t they just the
same then?  Well, would you suggest taking TomEE to an ant-based build?
Perhaps not…. maven suggests a project organization that makes good sense for
most java projects, and does about 70-99% of the organizational work for you.

Perhaps similarly, Antora more or less enforces a simple sensible documentation
organization, and provides a simple consistent way to get a nice looking
website out with almost no configuration needed.

This documentation project is much larger than I anticipated at first, and the
hard part is finding all the content and figuring out a plausible organization.
 I think I’ve found pretty much everything, and have a preliminary
organization.  Admittedly I’m strongly biased in favor of Antora, but I would
never have considered the project of even collecting all the existing content
without the organization Antora provides.

That said, I’m fairly amazed at how much of Antora’s functionality David has
compressed into the tomcat-site-generator.  However, it’s incomplete,
undocumented, unmaintained, and buggy.  I suggest that maintaining something
like that is not what anyone involved in TomEE wants to be spending their time
on.

One possible other factor to consider is that my interest here is primarily in
finding out what it’s like to migrate a moderately complex disorganized website
to Antora, and investigating what extensions or outside work (such as javadoc)
are needed. I’m really not interested in participating in other solutions.  I
expect to continue until I get something I’m satisfied with or I get tired.  I
think I already have pretty much all the content as Asciidoctor, and I hope to
get it to idiomatic error-free asciidoc. If the community wants a non-Antora
solution it should be moderately straightforward to de-Antora-ize the content,
but it’s not something I’m likely to be participating in.

In partial answer to David’s last question, I think one reason for the doc
decay was allowing too many choices, so that it quickly became too hard to
figure out how to do anything.

Thanks
David Jencks