Hello David,

I think we have two options.....

1) Change the Docker images to use the zip files

2) Create the tar.gz files

I think sort term we can do the zip files.  I think from there it becomes a
question of what is best for the long run.  We may not need to provide tar.gz
files at all.  I think most people are capable of using zip, but it may require
some changes.

Forgive my ignorance, but "Do you want the honors of filing the ticket," does
that mean a Jira card for the project?

Thanks,
Rod.

On 6/25/20, 5:56 PM, "David Blevins" <dblev...@tomitribe.com> wrote:

    Nationwide Information Security Warning: This is an external email. Do not
click on links or open attachments unless you trust the sender.

<jenki...@nationwide.com> wrote:

    > Is there any reason that we did not provide TAR.GZ files for TomEE 9.0?

    You're reminding me of a thought where I said to myself, "oh gee, we need
to not forget to ...." :)

    I had that thought as well and it escaped me.  Do you want the honors of
filing the ticket so we don't forget to create TAR.GZ files for TomEE 9.0?

    I think the answer here is simply that the Eclipse Transformer might not
support that format.  If we added that capability we might still not want to
use it because that would double the time it takes to do the bytecode
processing.  The right answer here might be to add that capability to the TomEE
Patch Plugin and have it output a ZIP and TAR.GZ in parallel.  If we made it
smart enough to set the right execution bits on the *.sh files, it could work
fine.

    Thinking out loud.

    -David