Hi JvD,

The difference between the two is: the former doesn’t serve the content under
the paths other than “/vod/” and “/live/”.

For example, for the request
“http://traffic-server.sports.ipcdn.com/path/file”, the former doesn’t serve it
while the latter does serve it.

Regarding the use case, this is useful if:

Under the same domain name, the contents under some paths are set by one
configuration and the contents under some other paths are set by another
configuration.

For example,

Different “Regex remap expression” can be configured for
“http://traffic-server.sports.ipcdn.com/vod/” and
“http://traffic-server.sports.ipcdn.com/live/”.

Different traffic caches can be assigned for
“http://traffic-server.sports.ipcdn.com/vod/” and
“http://traffic-server.sports.ipcdn.com/live/”.

Some different configuration items become possible because separated delivery
services.

Thanks,
Jifeng