For the most part, it's a drop in replacement for the Java version,
and based on our own experience it seems to work exactly as the Java
version would, including co-existence. There is a TO API dependency
for monitoring.json that the Java version does not have, and I'm not
sure what the history is with that endpoint and how far back we could
remain compatible. Traffic Router does not care what version of
Traffic Monitor it talks to, as the format of cr-states.json has not
changed. Same goes for TM and ATS. I believe we had co-existence
running in production going back to the 1.8.x releases.

Keep in mind that the intent is to drive users toward using the Golang
component by default starting with the 2.1.0 (or maybe 2.2.0?) release
while still allowing one to build, run, or contribute to the Java
version until our next major release (3.0.0). The intent is not to
give people a drop in replacement that works with prior versions; we
have not tested that thoroughly across all versions, and while it
might work, we should think of the Golang Traffic Monitor as a 2.0.x
and onward component. I think that statement holds for most of our
components; we wouldn't want to run a 1.7 Traffic Stats with a 2.0.0
Traffic Ops system. 1.7 is ancient, and have we ever really done
backward compatibility testing with versions?

To this end, if we do decide to make the Golang version the default in
the future, at a minimum we will need to provide release notes that
explain how to convert the Java configuration to the Golang version's
config. Ideally we would provide a simple script to convert the
configuration for our users, potentially running it as a postinstall
scriptlet in the RPM if the Java version is already installed.
Theoretically we could `yum upgrade traffic_monitor` and seamlessly
move from Java to Golang.
--
Thanks,
Jeff