> [1] http://www.trustedbsd.org/privileges.html

As I already mentioned, the way to go for FreeBSD will
probably turn out to be capsicum. But that is of no
concern right now. (Only with 9.0)

Unices do not support thread-based UIDs or privileges.
(IIRC Windows does, but again, that is of no concern
right now). We should foremost concentrate our efforts
on centralizing privilege handling.

Whether we use for these efforts a library, such as
libcap or the raw syscalls - as we have to on Solaris
anyway - should be decided based on what turns out to
be most beneficial to the architecture.

One of the questions this opens is fitting the subject
of this thread: How do we handle system which do not
support POSIX capabilities?

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.ga...@brainsware.org
GPG: 571B 8B8A FC97 266D BDA3  EF6F 43AD 80A4 5779 3257