On platforms that provides this feature, should we make it mandatory for v3.2 ("trunk")? I think it'd simplify things, and avoid bug reports / problems related to it. Granted, we still have to clean up our code mess here (with duplicated code in 2-3 places), but keeping libcap optional has little to gain I think (it's available pretty much on any reasonably modern Linux, including old distros such as Fedora Core 7).

This would require libcap and libcap-devel (or libcap-dev) on Linux platforms at least.

Thoughts?

-- Leif