From: Gunnar Tapper [mailto:tapper.gun...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2016 2:39 PM
To: dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Encourage Community

Hi,

You might have noticed that there's a link to the "Geode/Trafodion Elite Group"
on QQ on the web page. This is to help Chinese speakers engage in Chinese when
not comfortable with communicating in English.

I started a discussion on the incubator list on this topic, which quickly
included the members list, too. Talk about going big.

As you know, the Apache mantra is "everything happens on the mail lists."
That's no longer true but I still think that we need to encourage it.

As a first step, I propose that we encourage people to ask questions in their
native language on the mailing lists (especially user) making it clear that the
Trafodion community has no problem with that since we use a Translator to
understand the question. I further propose that we do respond in English as
much as possible relying on the recipient to use a Translator, too.

If you agree on with this, then I'd like to add a new section to the main page
that describes the above in different languages. We'll provide as many
languages as we can even if 99.99% will be OK with English if living in; for
example, Sweden. It's more about the message...

A starting point for word smithing and later translation (I can do the
translation to Swedish, I'm sure Hans can handle, Ming can do Chinese and so
on.)

"You can communicate with the Trafodion community even if you are uncomfortable
with English. Just send an e-mail in your preferred language to
u...@trafodion.apache.org. As a community, we use translation software to help
remove language barriers. Most often, we respond in English so that you can use
translation software, too."

We might also provide a page that provides language-specific instructions on
how to join and leave our mailing lists.

Thoughts?

--
Thanks,

Gunnar