Maybe I got a small step further.  I received a few advices from Jörg
Budischewski:

Say, I define my IDL like this:
   interface Xcvxopt : com::sun::star::uno::XInterface
   {
     string lp( [in] sequence < sequence < long > > c,
         [out] sequence < sequence < long > > x);
   };

The Jörg suggested I define my Python method as:
   def lp(self, c, x):
       x = (1,2)
       return "test", x

but whenever I try to invoke it from the spreadsheet as
=lp(A1:A2,B1:B2)   (and all sorts of variations)
I get a #NAME? error,  so it's like oocalc doesnt parse my Python add-in
because of an error.  I should mention
that if I only have [in] fields in the IDL,  then my add-in works fine.

How else would I invoke it from the spreadsheet?