Hi Stephan,

>>> - The owner of an extensible interface can add members to its end
>>> (inherited interfaces, methods, attributes).
>> Why at the end only? Do we gain something with this restriction, and do
>> we gain it in *all* language bindings, or would some bindings "break"
>> regardless of it?
>
> The C++ language binding would not (without modifications I would not
> dare to think about) be able to handle anything else (incl. inheriting
> from extensible interfaces).  So this sketch of a proposal is written
> from the perspective of "how can we modify existing interfaces without
> the current C++ language binding breaking down when mixing clients
> compiled against old interface versions with producers built against new
> interface versions."  (All other languages should be more flexible here,
> so that I assume no extra problems for other language bindings.)

Yes, the "at the end" cried "C++" loudly ...

Sadly, this implies that "semantic grouping" of interfaces/attributes
gets lost, unless we enhance autodoc to re-introduce this no matter the
order in the IDL file.

Be it. Better than nothing ...

Okay, as next step ;), please let's - with 3.0 or so - make a break with
some of the old services which will not be migrated to new interfaces
soon, and allow to given them the "extensible" keyword.

>>> Not completely thought through, but should probably work.  How does that
>>> sound?
>> Like a great first step towards a living API, which is fun to design,
>> without feeling blocked unnecessarily.
>
> Come on, the real fun is creatively pressing new functionality into
> existing, rigid API.  :)

:)

Ciao
Frank

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -