Hi,

I am working on a plugin for interfacing JabRef and OpenOffice. This
involves inserting citation markers in a Writer text (representing a
bibliography citation), and formatting a reference list based on which
citations appear in the text. This is not done using OO's built-in
bibliographic functions, but handled entirely by the plugin.

For reference, the current version of the plugin is available here:

http://www.itk.ntnu.no/ansatte/Alver_Omholt_Morten/jabref/OOPlugin.html

In the current implementation I insert a ReferenceMark for which I set
the text to appear in the document (the citation). The name of each
ReferenceMark is chosen so it indicates which bibliographic entries
(known to JabRef) it represents - therefore the actual text shown in
the document does not need to carry that information.

There are two problems with my approach:

* First, the text in the reference mark is editable, so the user can
accidentally add text to the marker instead of outside of it.

* Second, the reference marks are lost when saving to Word format.

I'm wondering if there is another mechanism I'm overlooking, which
would allow me to insert uneditable markers (gray like reference
marks), or if it is possible to make the reference marks uneditable?
It would be a bonus if the mechanism also could be conserved when
interchanging documents with MS Word.

Sincerely,
Morten O. Alver