actually, this might not be the right fix.

Imagine - perhaps there's some way to fix the serialization in Java 9+ for xml
so it didn't add extra blank lines...

That would be better, I think, rather than making the test ignore this.

I'm fine with going with your judgement of the importance of getting out the
changes fixed so far, versus waiting to include even more fixes...

The announcement might include a note that the build works on Java 8, and has
some minor issues with Java 9+

-Marshall