Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Velocity Wiki" for
change notification.

The following page has been changed by NathanBubna:
http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/VelocityTools2Planning

The comment on the change is:
status update

  == Backwards Compatibility For VelocityTools 2.x ==

  1. Basic user interfaces - these are things that people use directly without
extending
-   * Our tools - the biggest thing here is the tools themselves.  we shouldn't
make users have to change their templates at all.  we might consider finding
some way to provide deprecation notices for things we'd like to change, but i
don't think there's many places we'll need to do that.  in the meantime, the
most we may do is move packages, add setup() methods, and put deprecated
subclasses with init() and configure() support in the old tool locations.
(STATUS: only a little bit done)
+   * Our tools - the biggest thing here is the tools themselves.  we shouldn't
make users have to change their templates at all.  we might consider finding
some way to provide deprecation notices for things we'd like to change, but i
don't think there's many places we'll need to do that.  in the meantime, the
most we may do is move packages, add setup() methods, and put deprecated
subclasses with init() and configure() support in the old tool locations.
(STATUS: DONE, but not as described.  the tools haven't moved yet, but init()
and configure() are supported.)
-   * Custom tools - the trick will be to support the init() and configure()
methods.  Not sure how this will work, but i'm pretty determined to find a way.
(STATUS: not done yet)
+   * Custom tools - the trick will be to support the init() and configure()
methods.  Not sure how this will work, but i'm pretty determined to find a way.
(STATUS: done)
    * Servlets - A lot of people directly use the VVS and VLS.  So, while i've
moved them to a new package, there are  deprecated subclasses at their old
location to make this a seamless transition for these folks. (STATUS: done)
    * toolbox.xml - We need to create a !FactoryConfiguration that can
translate the old xml configuration format to fit the new tool management
structure.  This should not be too difficult.  The trickier part is where we
should automatically check for the old format (probably in the deprecated VVS
and deprecated VLS, at least).  Some thought may need to be put into this.
Anyway, the goal is to not force people to update their configurations right
away. (STATUS: done, though not quite as described above)
    * Logging stuff - The old !CommonsLog-!LogSystem bridges are deprecated and
now extend their successors, the !CommonsLog-!LogChute implementations.  I now
think that CommonsLogLogChute belongs in Engine, not Tools, but it will have to
have a copy here until at least the Engine 1.6 release.  Also, !ServletLogger
is deprecated and extends its successor, ServletLogChute.  For all of these,
the transition should be seamless for users also using Engine 1.5. (STATUS:
done)
@@ -48, +48 @@

  2. Common extension points - places where people extend the tools, servlets
    * Servlet subclasses - we need to support this as much as possible.
(STATUS: partly done)
-   * Tool subclasses that change init() or configure() - if we meet all the
goals in #1 above, then this should happen automatically for the most part.  we
just need to leave our init() and configure() methods in place, so that calls
to super.init() or super.configure() do not fail.
+   * Tool subclasses that change init() or configure() - if we meet all the
goals in #1 above, then this should happen automatically for the most part.  we
just need to leave our init() and configure() methods in place, so that calls
to super.init() or super.configure() do not fail. (STATUS: done)

  3. Advanced API users - those that use tool management without using the
servlets (e.g. Spring MVC or "standalone" toolbox users)
    * !ViewContext users - can use deprecated one at old location for now
(STATUS: done)
-   * !ChainedContext users - !ChainedContext can extend !ViewToolContext, but
what to do about setToolbox()? (STATUS: not done)
+   * !ChainedContext users - !ChainedContext extends !ViewToolContext, but
what to do about setToolbox()? (STATUS: not quite done)
    * XML!ToolboxManager users - may be possible to hack up a version that
reads old toolbox.xml format, and returns a Map of initialized tools for
getToolbox(initData), but that initData part is tricky.  partial support is
probably the best we can do here, unless we leave all the old code intact and
just deprecate it.
    * !ServletToolboxManager users - similar situation to that of
XML!ToolboxManager, but worse.  again, probably a choice between partial
integration with new infrastructure or else leaving both infrastructures
side-by-side with one deprecated.