I took a look at the MyFaces release page, which in turn points to the
following url.  Starting at this section, it does look like you now
have all of the pieces you need in place:  prepare the release,
perform the release, close the respository, take the vote.

http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html#prepare-release

3 - Prepare the release

mvn release:clean
mvn release:prepare

Note: Preparing the release will create the new tag in SVN,
automatically checking in on your behalf.

Note: If you're located in Europe then release:prepare may fail with
'Unable to tag SCM' and ' svn: No such revision X '. Wait 10 seconds
and run mvn release:prepare again.

4 - Stage the release for a vote

mvn release:perform

The release will automatically be inserted into a temporary staging
repository for you. See the Nexus staging documentation for full
details.

Now you must close the staging repository to indicate to Nexus that
the build is done and to make the artifacts available. Follow the
steps in Closing the Staged Repository to close your new repository,
this will allow your community to VOTE on the staged atrifacts.