On 2/23/19 8:52 AM, Michael Osipov wrote:
I think it is absolutely not our task to split strings for user's convenience. The next one will request another separator and so on. We should add at most a splitter tool. What we could do is to provide a new syntax: "$obj.foo([1,2,3,4,5])", but that is another story and out of my knowledge

We're not splitting strings for the user. Sorry if the given example wasn't clear.

What VELOCITY-892 does is provide a way for the user to *specify* such a converter towards List<Integer> or List<Float>, whereas without it, he can only specify a single converter towards List.

As for Java 8, don't do if you don't have a compelling reaons, i.e., rewriting most of the codebase to use Java 8 features. We yet event didn't move to generics in some places.

Hopefully, since we don't anywhere rely on HashMap ordering, the change is fully backward compatible. Requiring Java 1.8 opens the door to some interesting features like static/default interface methods and streaming APIs.

Yes, there are many places where the source code could be modernized. But I don't see how this stops us from moving to 1.8, on the contrary. Should one decide to tackle obsolete syntaxes, better do it with 1.8.

  Claude