On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 5:31 PM Nathan Bubna <nbu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have any time for dev work on Velocity these days, so it doesn't
> much matter whether i consider it or not. :) If someone wants to put in the
> work, i won't protest.

> My inclination, ineffectual though it may be, is to
> point out that it was removed 2 versions ago, in 2.0. Adding it back in as
> a BC option in 2.2 seems more than a little belated... :)

I understand but I started working on Velocity 2.x upgrade in XWiki
quite a while ago and it took two versions because it was not very
straightforward with XWiki using quite a lot of the Velocity APIs and
many of those having changed a lot (some of which I'm very happy with
but was still some work) and then start testing actual use cases to
find out regressions or planned but not obvious breaking changes in
actual language from XWiki extensions point of view. My bad judgment
was to wait for 2.1 before testing more use cases because there was a
lot of retro compatible flags and bug fixes in it that I needed while
I should have tested right away with 2.1 SNAPSHOTS like I do now with
2.2 but it was also not so easy to spot everything at once when those
were hidden by now fixed regressions or new retro compatibility flags.

> I do agree, the 1.7-2.0 upgrade docs probably should have said that those
> deprecated features were actually removed. That was an oversight on our
> part.
>
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 1:04 AM Thomas Mortagne <thomas.morta...@xwiki.com>
> wrote:
>
> > OK should probably be documented in the 1.7->2.0 upgrade then because
> > it was not very obvious before that it was deprecated since it was the
> > default behavior not something you could disable.
> >
> > So next question I guess is would you consider having it disabled by
> > default and be able to enable with a configuration like it was done
> > for other things in 2.1/2.2 ? I have to try :)
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 7:24 PM Nathan Bubna <nbu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > This is a planned change. Implicit local scope was deprecated in 1.7 for
> > > removal in 2.0 and was replaced with explicit scope control objects.
> > >
> > https://velocity.apache.org/engine/devel/upgrading.html#upgrading-from-velocity-16x-to-velocity-17x
> > >
> > > On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 9:29 AM Thomas Mortagne <
> > thomas.morta...@xwiki.com>

> > Jira

> > let's

> > APIs