> On Jun 21, 2018, at 3:46 PM, Daniel Gruno <rum...@cord.dk> wrote:
>
>    Apache Warble is a turnkey monitoring solution with a modular,
>    threaded design, allowing for both public telemetry (data pull) from
>    easily deployable nodes around the world, as well as internal
>    monitoring (data push) on machines, with a centralized master server
>    for both managing, collecting, aggregating, alerting on and
>    visualizing the data.

This is a good summary. As we move forward with the design specs, I’d also like
to see some comparisons with existing off-the-shelf monitoring systems (zabbix,
nagios, etc.,) to show that Warble is first and foremost easy to set up. This
is typically the biggest barrier to entry for folks trying to set up a
monitoring solution. Zabbix and Nagios specifically require a fairly steep
learning curve to get any useful data.

> As for the database, I'm leaning towards using ElasticSearch for the
> permanent storage, and possibly Redis for the ephemeral lookup cache for
> the alerter.

If it can be made turn-key, I’m OK with ES, but it’s a heavy solution for small
scale monitoring. It may be worth considering a tiered approach with something
as simple as sqllite as the “default” backend with ES for a more
enterprise-sized deployment.

Any thoughts on being backwards-compatible with existing nagios check scripts?
There’s a fairly broad ecosystem there that might be leveraged.

-Chris