The most important feature IMO is async servlets, which is used by Atmosphere.
It allows you to suspend requests without relying on container specific
implementations, like continuations in Jetty. Currently the atmosphere
example, part of wicket-examples in sandbox/atmosphere uses the async
attribute. Without it, it will probably work on most containers, but only
because Atmosphere detects the container and has modules for most popular
containers.

I can live with Servlet 2.5, but I don't see why we should keep supporting
these ancient API's. I'd like to move on.