i may be able to help here. ive recently written a descent polling
panel we use to execute long-running sql queries. its not async in the
sense that it does not work via servlet 3 async requests - it polls
with ajax. but, unlike lazyloadpanel we have now this one doesnt block
access to the page, and has some rudimentary job management. i will
see if i can open source it...

-igor