We are all in agreement that it would be best to go with fixed version
dependencies when it comes to components & orbit bundles, rather than
depending on snapshots. This means, that two features living within the
same product, may depend on two versions of the same bundle. We have to
ensure that this works in order for our fixed dependency strategy to work.

In the OSGi world, it is perfectly OK to have two different versions of the
same bundle. However, when it comes to Carbon, we have to solve the
following additional problems.

1. We need to be able to properly choose from which bundle and OSGi service
is linked when there are multiple versions of the same bundle which expose
the same OSGi service

2. Port binding - we have bundles that open ports. So, when there are two
bundles that try to open the same server socket, there will be issues. We
need to ensure that only one bundle opens the socket. Also, we need to
ensure that data from these sockets gets dispatched to the correct code.

3. Connecting & reading/writing to DBs - if there are multiple versions of
the same bundle, both may try to write conflicting entries to the DBs. Need
a strategy to ensure that only one bundle connects & reads/writes.

Thoughts welcome.

--
*Afkham Azeez*
Director of Architecture; WSO2, Inc.; http://wso2.com