Hi Folks,

I am referring to carbon-kernel git issue 1239 - https://github.com/wso2/
carbon-kernel/issues/1239

When I looked into the usage of this file, the only usage found is getting
the kernel version from that file and
printing it on the console when command ./carbon.sh version is invoked.

AFAIU, there are two concerns that we need to consider here.

[1] Do we really need this version option with ./carbon.sh command ?
     My opinion is that it's a nice to have feature with respect to user
experience.
     Nowadays, many of the softwares support this handy feature with
-version option preceded by some alias to represent the corresponding
software.
     For ex:
     Java and mvn have following outputs for -version option

     command :
     java -version
     output :
     Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.102-b14, mixed mode)

     command :
     mvn -version
     output :
     Apache Maven 3.3.9
     Maven home: /usr/share/maven
     Java home: /home/abc/Programs/Java/jdk1.8.0_102/jre
     OS name: "linux", version: "4.4.0-57-generic", arch: "amd64", family:
"unix"

[2] If we are supporting this option with ./carbon.sh, what is the ideal
way to obtain any version information ?
     Currently, we are getting the version value of carbon kernel with the
aforementioned kernel-version.txt file which resides in <CARBON_HOME>/bin.
     For ex:

     command :
     ./carbon.sh version
     output :
     WSO2 Carbon Kernel v5.2.0-SNAPSHOT

     So, the question would be that "Is this the ideal way of doing this"
or will there be any other better alternatives ?

Please share your valuable thoughts on this.

Cheers,
Dilan.

*Dilan U. Ariyaratne*
Senior Software Engineer