Hi all,

I'm currently working on a project to add image storing and retrieval
capabilities to the WSO2 IoT Server.

To achieve this I have implemented the following;
1) Added a separate DAO Table with a field with LONGBLOB data type for
storing.
2) Added storage capabilities in the database for an image sent as a *File *in
the form of a *BinaryStream*.

As of now, I've written unit tests and the test images are getting stored
successfully in the database.

The problem lies in how to successfully retrieve the stored data. For this,
I have come across 2 possible approaches.
1) *Retrieve as a File - *The notable downside I realized with this
solution is that each time a new Image is retrieved, a new file will be
created. Therefore measures would have to be taken to persist new files
while purging older obsolete ones.
2) *Retrieve as BinaryStream - *Although this requires no persistent memory
usage and the data will only be retrieved on call and issues may come up
when representing that data from a UI end. Further analysis is required for
this approach.
3) *Retrieve as FileOutputStream - *This is my preferred method and the one
recommended mostly in forums and tutorials.

One other approach suggested to me was to use a *Siddhi Stream for both
storage and retrieval* purposes. This would further allow for analytics to
be performed on the data which not be very much possible with the earlier
mentioned approaches.

Suggestions and Feedback are appreciated.
Thanks and regards!

--
*Nuwan Jayawardene*
*Software Engineering Intern*