The Encryption Method mentioned here is the symmetric key encryption
algorithm that is used to encrypt the JWT claims set. We used the Nimbus [1]
<https://connect2id.com/products/nimbus-jose-jwt> library for the
implementation and within that, they have used the name "Encryption Method"
to identify this algorithm. They have a class defined as
com.nimbusds.jose.EncryptionMethod which wraps all supported symmetric key
encryption algorithms.
I took the name from there. I'm not sure what you mean by "cipher chaining
mode". Is this mentioned in the JWE RFC?