Hi Chiranga,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:48 AM, Chiranga Alwis <chira...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> currently, I'm working on building Kubernetes resources for WSO2
> Enterprise Integrator [1].
>
> During this effort, I am attempting to utilize platform independent WSO2
> product Docker images [2] when deploying artifacts on Kubernetes platform.
>
> Here, we are required to pass on the set of files with configuration
> changes to the default Docker image file system, into a pod in order to
> make them available at the container startup.
>
> The most straightforward solution provided by Kubernetes platform for this
> purpose is using ConfigMaps [3]. But it was experienced that it is not
> possible to build a Kubernetes ConfigMap from a folder recursively [4].
>
> Yes, this is a limitation at the moment. But IMO, I think we should stick
with config maps for configurations. We can use volumes for mounting
content such as jks, /lib, /dropins, etc. When you change a config, you
need to do restart the server to apply the changes. If we use the config
maps, you only need to update the config map and do the rolling update.
Currently there is an on going discussion to support config map rolling
update [1].

> As the set of configuration files that need to be passed into the
> container is required to maintain the folder structure in this scenario, it
> was identified that using a persistent storage (containing the files with
> configuration changes) which could be shared among all the pods running
> containers from the specific Docker image is the best option to achieve the
> discussed goal.
>
> For this purpose, I tried using dynamic provisioning of persistent volumes
> [5].
>

> But how can we pre-populate the dynamically provisioned persistent volume
> with the files with configuration changes?
>
> Your help, suggestions and concerns on this matter are highly appreciated.
>
> *Note*: Please find this [6] forum discussion I've initiated at
> Kubernetes Storage Special Interest Group [7].
>
> [1]: https://github.com/wso2/kubernetes-ei
> [2]: Mail thread with subject "[Architecture] [Deployment] [Containers] An
> update to WSO2 product Dockerfile generalization"
> [3]: https://kubernetes-v1-4.github.io/docs/user-guide/configmap/
> [4]: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/kubernetes-users/h_FRSr5wW00
> [5]: https://kubernetes.io/blog/2017/03/dynamic-provisioning-
> and-storage-classes-kubernetes
> [6]: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/kubernetes-sig-
> storage/qhd2HFd7nbg
> [7]: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/tree/master/sig-storage

[1] - https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/issues/22368

Thank you!
<https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/issues/22368>--
*Pubudu Gunatilaka*
Committer and PMC Member - Apache Stratos
Senior Software Engineer
WSO2, Inc.: http://wso2.com
mobile : +94774078049 <%2B94772207163>