I think having more frequent release is beneficial to both the project, and
the users and community, so I am +1 on the idea of cutting out a 3.6 alpha
release for new features. Regarding additional burden, my understanding is
the cost would be similar as releasing a beta version such as 3.5.x but
smaller than releasing a stable version 3.4.x (where stability / quality
matters), so it seems manageable.

--
Cheers
Michael.