Historically we've always defined a minimum version and let users decide.
That seems to have worked pretty well. It provides the most flexibility and
hasn't really bothered us too much. It limits our use of new language
features of Java, but typically Java is ensuring b/w compat from a runtime
perspective and as a result there's isn't much of a burden to say we
support 6 and laters vs alternately saying we support 6&8 exclusively.

Patrick