Very well said, thank you Ted!

>> I would still opt for quorum outside rather than quorum as a library.

One observation on out side quorum vs library: for Raft, cockroach db and
TiDB both choose the library approach instead of depending on etcd, though
they all share the etcd's Raft implementation. ZooKeeper could be used in a
similar approach if we can abstract ZAB and provides a nice SMR interface
on top of it.