Very useful thread on how watchers work in ZooKeeper and why they work that
way!

I talked with a Kafka dev about this. He said there are only talks for now
about removing ZooKeeper, not going to happen soon, but some people
definitely want it done. They even want their own Leader election, so not
just the message/subscribe model. I think this is very dangerous. I like
Ted's saying that ZooKeeper is not just battle tested, but battle scarred.

Anyway, my takeaway has been said before:
Kafka is using watchers as if it were meant to be a messaging service,
which it is not. (The already linked ZOOKEEPER-153 is what they want, as
Patrick stated).

And anyone interested on watchers in ZooKeeper - read this thread! :)

Cheers!
Norbert