I'll create a jira and the PR. I guess we should just return -1, that's
what 3.5.5 did anyway:
https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/blob/branch-3.5.5/zookeeper-server/src/main/java/org/apache/zookeeper/version/util/VerGen.java#L87

And keep it on 3.6 as well? Fine by me. So put this function back in 3.5.8
and 3.6.1 only, leave master (3.7 or 4.0? :) ) out of it?