On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 10:01 AM Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:

> Makes sense. For eg. SSD characteristics are vastly diff from spinning
> media.

super true.

> I suspect it would be worth looking into this in even more depth -
> we pre-allocate certain files, perhaps that's no longer necessary, etc...

The preallocation still makes sense on most file systems since meta-data
changes (i.e. changing file length) are much more expensive than data
changes (overwriting previously allocated blocks).

Makes sense. If we do something it would be great to have a set of tests
> that could be used/reused to explore the various types even beyond SSD
> itself.

Indeed. Storage class memory, for example, could make for an amazing ZK
implementation. So could use of the upcoming SSD devices that implement
key-value stores.