I completely understand the need for granular breakup of changes for code
review and future maintenance. I would not send this as a single patch on the
mailing list for formal code review. Due to the size of the change, the main
point here was to initially focus feedback on the high-level approach and
design sparing the review of implementation details for an actual code review.
Though I understand for those interested, it is much easier to digest the code
in a clean patch series so I will send that RFC series to the list once I
incorporate the feedback already received.

I replied elsewhere inline.

Thanks,
Michael

Yes, that is correct.

> > Today's UEFI Variable Cache
> > --------------------------------------
> >  * Maintained in SMRAM via VariableSmm.
> >  * A "write-through" cache of variable data in the form of a UEFI variable
> store.
> >  * Non-volatile and volatile variables are maintained in separate buffers
> (variable stores).
>
> I'm unclear on how the items on this list should be interpreted. Are these
> items from today that we keep, or items that we change?
>
> For example, it's quite beneficial that NV and V variables are maintained in
> separate buffers -- the sizing can be different, and that's good. I believe we
> shouldn't change that.

These points just summarize today's operation for the unaware. I agree the two
buffers should be separate and there's no plan to change that.