On 04/17/20 03:40, Ni, Ray wrote:

> [...]

BaseTools used to live in a separate repo (with periodic syncs into
edk2), and it was an endless source of misery for edk2.

Introducing new basetools features (or fixing critical bugs in existing
features), and putting those features to actual use in edk2 content,
should be interleaved in a single shared git history.

Note: this applies at the module (INF) and package (DEC) level too, not
just at the platform (DSC / FDF) level.

For example, whenever new syntax is added to DEC or INF, universal edk2
modules in MdePkg or MdeModulePkg have to delay their utilization of
that syntax until BaseTools actually implements the syntax (and
important bugs related to parsing the syntax are fixed as well). Right
now this happens naturally, due to the shared history.

If we wanted to separate BaseTools out again, the bare minimum would be
a git submodule (not pip). Even that way, bisectability would take a big
hit. And that problem -- lack of bisectability -- used to be the most
painful issue with the original out-of-tree BaseTools too. (You'd get a
multi-thousand line code drop with each sync, things would break, and
you'd have no way of programmatically / mechanically narrowing down the
issue.)

I understand that strict CI may help prevent such issues, and that's
good. But (a) it's still no substitute for git-bisect, and (b) a user
should *really* not have to install pip whatever in order to locally
build edk2 proper.

I can see myself somehow stomaching this change if it is proposed as a
git submodule. (I'm not trying to prevent "pip"; I'm trying to prevent
"pip" from being the primary, or exclusive, interface to consuming
basetools.) With a git submodule:

- only git tools are needed for a local source tree setup, for an
upstream user;

- at least *some* historical accuracy is preserved between the two
projects (as the superproject, i.e. edk2, will still record *some*
basetools states via the submodule reference);

- an upstream user will still be given the chance to hack on both
basetools and specific INF/DEC files at the same time (e.g. for bug
reproduction or feature/bugfix testing).

With BaseTools being consumed via a git submodule in edk2, I'd insist on
very frequent submodule advances in edk2 superproject -- practically
every time "master" were moved in the basetools subproject (after every
BaseTools merge), the submodule ref would have to be bumped in edk2.
That's the only way we'd get a halfway functional substitute for git-bisect.

Thanks
Laszlo