I think you've got it. The version of basetools will be carried via a
pip-requirements file.

Where would "pip install -r pip-requirements.txt" *fetch* the required
basetools version from?
I believe that it has a cache internal to pip. But if you want to fetch a
basetools that hasn't been fetched before, yes, it would require a network
download. Alternatively, if you're without internet access, you can check it
out locally and use the pip install -e.

Can you please explain the effects of the "pip install -e in more detail?
So I'm a little murky on how it works but I believe that it creates symlinks or
some other mechanism to repoint the global python module (global meaning your
pip install or virtualenv). This is something that works automatically. The
setup.py in the root of the repo takes care of this since it's used also to
package the pip module. You can do pip install -e., and it just works (tm). Any
basetools commit you check out (once it is in it's own repo, going back a given
basetools commit two years ago is unfortunately not as easy) will work with pip
install -e with not setup or configuration on your part as a developer. I use
this whenever I work on the pytools and it works quite well. It will also show
up in the BuildToolsReport and pip freeze as being locally installed and it
will tell you the git commit it is currently at.

I agree- I think we're trending towards very very frequent releases for
basetools to provide high granularity. But that is pending community feedback
and the decision of the tools maintainer. It is certainly trivial to automate
the release pipeline in such a way that a release with every commit that passes
CI is easy and mostly automatic for the maintainers.

Thank you for the excellent questions!

--
- Matthew Carlson