> I am presently setting up Kannel to run as an SMS
> gateway using compiled version of 1.0.3. I am using a
> siemens GSM modem as the SMSC.
>
> With my present configurations, I can send messages
> through my smsc from the admin html console via a
> browser. But messages sent to me are not received and
> no indications of these are made in any form, even in
> the logs.

If you are running an "older firmware version on your Siemens M20 then
this may be the cause. Please search the mailing list archive for an
update location someone posted recently, where you can get the update
for the firmware software.

Anyway, 1.0.3 is quite old, considered in terms of smsc_at.c (the GSM
modem SMSC implementation). You should be using a CVS snapshot
instead. Unfortunatly we currently don't have any "latest" stable
release, so CVS is appropriate for now.

> I am not receiving messages via the smsc. Is there a
> specific receive-thread that must be started before
> messages can be recieved?

No, bearerbox is responsible for serial com communication and smsbox
for the processing.

> Does the bearerbox listen continuosly to the smsc and
> is there a way I can dictate the frequency at which
> the bearerbox retrieves messages from the smsc(phone
> modem).

No, bearerbox does (or should :)) listen continously for incomding
messages.

Can you send as much messages as you want via the SMSC, but don't
receive any? Or may it be that you send a couple of messages, the SMSC
connection drops and you try to receive and wonder why it does not
come?

Anyway, a bearerbox and smsbox log (not to heavy please :)) would be
best for the list to review what you are trying.

Stipe

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Wapme Systems AG

Münsterstr. 248