because specific drivers (not providers) may have specific character codings. you
can't assume that any communication protocol will always by default speak GSM 03.38 or
UCS-2BE. that's why the driver has to make sure that the bearerbox recevies a message
which is already coded according to basic expectations (Latin1 in case of non-unicode
messages).

We can always do something like this : change the architecture of kannel so that
driver will not decode the message content, but simply set the message field 'charset'
to the charset they expect the message to be in, and let the bearerbox do all the
encoding conversion.

--
Oded Arbel
m-Wise mobile solutions

+972-9-9581711 (116)
+972-67-340014

::..
Without change, something sleeps inside us,
and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.
     --Frank Herbert