Adam Williamson wrote:
> I did explicitly explain to you and the other desktop SIGs at the start
> of the F13 cycle that, because we just hadn't had time to discuss all
> the thorny implications of the question, the desktop criteria would be
> considered only with regards to the default desktop. Which is GNOME.

I don't think that makes sense. I didn't back then and still don't.

> The desktop criteria and validation tests did not exist before F13. It's
> extremely unlikely we would ever have blocked any previous Alpha release
> because graphical updating failed in *any* desktop. This reflects a
> tightening of our release quality standards, not a loosening. In future
> I'd like to have all the major desktops (KDE, XFCE, LXDE) considered as
> well as just GNOME, but doing so in F13 would have been premature.

How would it have been premature to consider our 2 permanent spins equally?
Our users expect the KDE spin to be working.

> I'd hope it would be obvious I *do* care, since I took the trouble to go
> around to you and the LXDE and XFCE SIGs and ask if you'd have time to
> kindly help fill in the results tables. By the same token, as explained
> above, I *did* explain that we're unfortunately not considering the
> results as binding on the release schedule for F13. However, having the
> results is very useful for us all to know where the release stands, for
> us to document significant issues in CommonBugs (I'll document the KDE
> update issue there), and to establish the process for future releases
> where hopefully it can become binding.

But why would I (or anybody else) be motivated to spend my time testing
things when I was told upfront that the results would be ignored?

> Also, if any of the non-default desktops had been known to be really
> horribly broken - as in, 'the damn thing won't start up', or something -
> we would have considered making that an Alpha blocker.

But "the damn thing won't update, so if anything's broken, I can't get the
fix" is not? Weird. Also makes me wonder why to bother with putting that as
an alpha blocker anyway if you try to discuss it away just because it
doesn't happen in GNOME.

        Kevin Kofler