On 03/08/2010 09:29 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> There are just too many -devel packages and their dependencies to be ever
>> relevant to someone for multi-arch installs. Far more users install i686 on
>> 64-bit CPUs, and I have doubts that x86_64 installation users do much
>> development with i686 packages.
When regarding myself and my co-workers, you could not be much
wronger ;)

>> At most they install 32-bit apps where
>> 64-bit builds aren't available or "less good".
This applies to "users", but doesn't apply to developers.

> You forget people developing proprietary software...
There is no need to restrict this to proprietary SW. There are use-cases
for each of the scenarios mentioned in this thread.

Fedora supporting all of them had been one of the reasons for us to
choose Fedora as development platform (openSUSE would be an alternative,
but Debian/Ubuntu aren't, one reason being lack of multilibs).

> or even just
> multilib apps. Multilib is useful if you want to build the 32-bit
> version of something on an x86_64 box (and don't want to set up a full
> chroot / VM).
Exactly.

Also consider working on mere "client systems", without VMs, chroots,
multi-boots, root-access etc. Multilibs are a valueable option to
developers in such cases.

Ralf