On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 11:01 +0200, Richard Zidlicky wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 09:58:27AM +0200, Alexander Boström wrote:
>
> > Long story short: There are situations where a grub menu is vital, like
> > until you've successfully booted a new kernel.
>
> of course, and I do not think it is so hard to think of a sensible behaviour.
>
> After each (semi)automatic change to grub/kernel conf as well as for the very
> first
> boot there should be a timeout as well as visible menu.
> Once the kernel did boot with default command line etc it would be safe to
> set
> the timeout to a small value - after asking the user.
>
> More elaborate solution, there could be two config values - quicktimeout and
> safetimout.
> After kernel and config changes timeout would be changed to safetimout and
> once
> the kernel booted safely it could be reset to quicktimeout automatically.
>
> Richard

Another options will be to test a successful boot flag. (E.g. a touch
file in /boot/).
If the file doesn't exists (Post installation, new kernel, failed
boot/shutdown) grub should switch to a predefined timeout, giving the
user time to react.

The main issue here, is grub changes. Such a feature will require
changes to grub (code), kernel (post install script) and init functions.

While the last two are less problematic (bash scripts), given the fact
that development of grub is slowly shifting to grub2, I doubt that the
Fedora grub maintainers will be willing to spend time on such a feature
when grub is be phased out. (Or is it?)

- Gilboa