On 01/06/16 12:19, Howard Chu wrote:

This is still looking at the problem back-asswards. The problem isn't
that screen and tmux are special cases. The problem is that some handful
of programs that got spawned in a GUI desktop environment are special
cases, not exiting when they should.

I'm sorry, but I disagree.

There are basically three things that I'm aware of that are used from a user session to run something in background in a way that will survive the end of the user session and you named them - nohup, screen and tmux.

Anything else I put in background with "&" in my shell will be killed when I log out unless it has been disowned which is basically a shell builtin version of nohup.

So things which are intended to survive the end of a login session really are the special case. The default behaviour has always been that things are killed when you logout, it's just that the way of enforcing that (sending a SIHGHUP) is fairly gentle so things can easily survive without really intending to.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/