On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 10:04:27AM -0400, Dan Book wrote:

> > Again, this isn't just work-arounds around broken programs. It's a
> > security thing. It's privileged code (logind, PID 1) that enforces a
> > clear life-cycle on unprivileged programs.
> >
> > Any scheme that relies on unprivileged programs "being nice" doesn't
> > fix the inherent security problem: after logout a user should not be
> > able consume further runtime resources on the system, regardless if he
> > does that because of a bug or on purpose.
> >
> > Lennart
>

> That's your opinion, and while many sysadmins may share it, many will not.
> Having this as an optional security feature would be fantastic. Enforcing
> it by default on every user many of which use tmux, screen, nohup, and & to
> persist long running processes for daily work, is not something to do just
> because you think it is what people should do.

  Just a little perspective – this isn't a new option. KillUserProcesses
functionality
seems to be added by
commit 202630822f52e06dce8404633407329c38099278
Date:   Mon May 23 23:55:06 2011 +0200

  Five years ago, so basically from day one.  We have this optional
security feature – fantastic!
  Also, the concept of a ”session” isn't anything new, it's core UNIX
concept (setsid() enyone?)

  I think that programs needing special treatment should use operating
system's facilities to communicate that.  So tmux, screen, nohup should
really open a new session.  It's unfortunate that tmux author is hostile
against that, but maybe a clean, compile-time optional patch would persuade
him?
  Anyway, I think some examples of ”how to inform systemd I'm a special
program not to reap” would be welcome.  Does it need to be done through
D-Bus interaction with logind?  Is using PAM sufficient/required?
(Nb. screen already uses PAM for some functionality).

--
Tomasz Torcz            There exists no separation between gods and men:
xmpp: zdzich...@chrome.pl   one blends softly casual into the other.