On 06/15/2016 12:41 PM, Russell Doty wrote:
> Note that the original poster says that he runs dnf -update from the
> command line because it allows him to do what he wants.
>
> Based on the information discussed in this thread, shouldn't dnf also
> force a reboot before updates?
>
> We have an observed difference between what is permitted in the cli
> tool and what is permitted in the gui tool. Why this difference?

Traditionally, we've assumed a greater level of understanding for those who use
CLI tools as opposed to GUI tools. It's expected that if someone is using DNF
directly, it's because they know what they are doing (and what risks that
carries). I'm not going to comment on whether that assumption is correct or not,
just that it's what generally determines the mode of operation.

People *can* use the command-line to get the reboot behavior:
```
pkcon update --only-download
pkcon offline-trigger
reboot
```

That said, there *is* value to allowing people to update individual things
without forcing a system reboot if they know enough to do so. (For example, if I
am updating a leaf-node GUI application that is not currently running).

I think it makes sense however to leave the graphical tool to follow best and
safest practice. Advanced users can use the CLI tools. I think we'd see *far*
more angry pitchforks if we took away that decision from DNF.