On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 04:54:42PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 06/29/2016 12:34 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > > Debian builds static libraries and puts them into their -dev packages.
> > > Fedora does not do this systematically.  Are all the static libraries you
> > > need actually available in Fedora?
> >
> > Yes, everything we need exists - as mentioned its only glibc-static,
> > glib2-static, zlib-static and pcre-static that we need for this.
>
> In this case, linking statically is indeed an option.
>
> We currently have little tooling for static libraries.  Strictly speaking,
> all statically linked libraries have to be rebuilt even for minor glibc
> updates because we do not provide ABI compatibility for static linking
> (there are no compatibility symbols, static binaries always get the most
> recent implementation).

Yep, I understand those caveats - the flipside is that most other Linux
distros already provide statically linked qemu user emulators with glibc
without suffering unduly. So while I accept there are potential problems,
it doesn't seem like they're frequent / severe enough to make this approach
unviable.

Regards,
Daniel