I think that the emoji input method should be a separate input method, so that
most users would have the choice between inputting using the keyboard layout
that matches their keyboard, and a separate input method for emojis.

The IBus XKB engine is not discoverable (it's not listed in GNOME's Region &
Language settings) and the keyboard shortcut to input emojis is also not
discoverable. Having a separate input method is likely the better way to
implement this.