On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:18:49AM -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > I'd like to start a discussion regarding the "nobody" user on Fedora,
> > and propose that we change its definition sooner or later. I am not
> > proposing a feature according to the feature process for this yet, but
> > my hope is that these discussions will lead to one eventually.
> I am not against this proposal. It has been tried at least once before
> in the past but those failed due to a lot of programs secretly relying
> on the seperate uids and not a lot of people being able to fix it.
>
> I am not 100% certain that it was mostly 99 due to issues with various
> network authentication systems from long ago. (ypbind/ldap/etc) where

I remember when this came up before but can't find it now. I think it
was changed to 99 when UIDs went to 32 bit and it suddenly started
being 65535 on some systems and 4294967295 on others. * I was trying to
figure out why 99 was eventually chosen, but can't find it now.

In any case, the regularization makes sense to me.

* At $formeruniversity, we had someone who was trying to back up
/var/log without any special handling for sparse files and they
suddenly got very surprised and upset when lastlog became "gigantic".
Ah, good times.

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>